Tuesday, July 17, 2012

GUEST BLOG: The "Great" Debate

The “Great” Debate Ben Dansker Once every few years the public reawakens to the issue of exemption from Army service awarded to full time Yeshiva students and to certain minorities. It’s not that the issue ever disappears from public discourse, but that for most of the time it is a “page two” item and not a headline and certainly not an issue that would threaten one of the strongest government coalitions every put together. The issue of course is not just one of military service, but a concern that there are two societies in Israel, one which is involved in the economic life of the country and one which, by choice, is not. The economic ramifications have been spoken about for a long time and they are not very complicated to understand. An economy cannot typically provide an adequate level of services for all of its citizens if a significant and growing segment of that economy does not contribute, receive salaries and pay taxes. I have two sons who have served in Israel Defense Forces (IDF) combat units and a third son about to begin his service, and I can understand and empathize with the notion that the burden of service should fall equally on all citizens. As a religious Jew I can also empathize with the notion that the study of Torah creates great merit for the Jewish people in the land of Israel. I would not want to tear that world down, but I would want to bring our worlds and world-views somewhat closer. There have been some beginnings of change in the past five or six years. More ultra-orthodox young men are entering the Army, mainly in special frameworks like the Nachal Charedi. More are entering the labor force as well. The rate of change is slow and many would like it to happen faster but I believe that the current “battle” raging as it were in our streets and in our newspapers will if anything cause a retreat rather than encourage continued forward progress. I propose, therefore, that our political leadership work far harder with the ultra-orthodox to find a suitable solution to a problem that they know as well as we, exists. I would suggest to the ultra-orthodox communities to find ways to express appreciation and solidarity with those who do serve. I would not ask that their synagogues recite the prayer for the State of Israel which seems much harder for them than it was to pray for the health of Tsar Nicholas and for many other tyrants through the ages. I would however urge them to recite the formal prayers for the welfare our soldiers. Our soldiers are their soldiers as well. If they are not their son’s they are probably their nephews and if not, they are young Jewish boys fighting and sometimes sacrificing themselves so that the world of Torah in Israel can go on. I would urge a change in the language which I hear with my own ears in which the IDF and its institutions are seen as Treif or Unholy. I have had Charedi relatives more than hint that sending our sons to the army is a mistake. I am willing to believe the Charedim when they say that the IDF and its soldiers are in fact important and precious to them, but I would prefer it if they would find ways to show it. I believe that this too would reduce the flames of passion that are engulfing true believers on both sides of the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment