Friday, November 25, 2011

At Least Put it on the Agenda

By Ben Dansker

In the 1970’s as a movement of Jewish renewal of sorts took place among young people, it seemed to me then that while few acted upon, the idea of Aliya, of coming to Israel to live, was at least on the agenda. I was a University student during many of those years and after that a young adult embarking on a career and it seemed that most of my Jewish peers, especially those who were to some degree committed to living a Jewish life, with varying levels of Jewish observance, talked about Aliya and many considered it an option. Not all for sure, there were those who chose careers that they felt iwould be impossible to pursue in Israel and others for whom Israel simply did not attract them. But it was part of the conversation of many.

Most of us had spent time in Israel, studying, volunteering, sometimes both and had been captivated by the drama unfolding there and by the experience of being part of a Jewish nation returning to and rebuilding its home. All of us were very well aware of the many difficulties inherent in living in Israel, the distance from family, adjustment to a new culture and language, the security threats, service in the army and most overwhelming per haps in those days, the great financial hardship that living in Israel seemed to be. And very few from those times, even those who seemed the most committed actually made it. My own Aliya took 10 years from my first visit and now 26 years later, I acknowledge that it was not always easy, but it was certainly possible, and certainly the right thing to.

I have no expectation that most western Jews will come to live in Israel and am surprised each time some one comes. What saddens me however is how few seem to even talk about it, consider, think about it. I find it hard to accept the absence of the topic from conversation of even those who seem to have enjoyed, even loved the time they spent it Israel and to have careers that would transplant well. Especially those at a stage in life before school aged children and teenagers and aging sick parents complicate the situation. Yes, I know that there are over 50 thousand missiles pointed at Israel and I know there are some government policies that many of you do not agree with and a culture that is different from yours. I have those 50 thousand missiles pointing at me as well and I don’t always agree with government policy nor am I happy about all aspects of Israeli life (and neither would I be about American life).

We waited for this opportunity for 2000 years and European Jews in the 1920s and 30’s missed an opportunity to save themselves from tragedy. Our prayers for 2000 years have directed us to Zion and Jerusalem. So at least, think about it; talk about it; look into it. Consider it as an option in your lives. At least put in it on your agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment